Waco Montessori School History
Waco Montessori School (formerly Austin Avenue Montessori School) began in the Austin Avenue United Methodist Church in September of 1976. There was one Montessori classroom with six children amid the existing traditional school. By the spring of 1977, the number of children in the Montessori classroom had doubled. In September of 1979, the Board of Trustees voted to become an all Montessori school.
By 1993, the church and school agreed that more space was needed. The parents formed a non-profit corporation becoming Waco Montessori School (WMS) and purchased the assets of the school. At that time, the school had one Toddler classroom, four Early Childhood classrooms, and one Lower Elementary classroom.
In September 1994, WMS opened the Children’s House located at 1920 Columbus Avenue. Due to increased demand, a second Lower Elementary classroom and a fifth Early Childhood classroom were added in 1995. A second building was completed and opened in December 1995 to house the Elementary program. In 1996, a second Toddler classroom and an Upper Elementary classroom were added. In 1997, the elementary building was extended to accommodate two new classrooms and dedicated and renamed the Richard E. Brophy Building. The gym which connects the two buildings was opened in April 2006.
Today, WMS has an enrollment of approximately 250 students ranging from 18 months to twelve years of age.